Discovering "Magna Grecia" (DI.MA.)
The scope of the project is the creation of tools for the protection of the cultural heritage and of the network of I Parchi LetterariR both local and transnational, for the development of sustainable tourist activities.
Program: Community Initiative Programme - INTERREG III, STRAND B ARCHIMED
Axis: Integrated and Sustainable Management of Cultural and Natural Resources and of Landscape and Risk Management
Measure: 3.2 Protection, reformation, planning and management of the cultural heritage
The main objectives are:
- processing of studies, tools and methods for the application of actions for the protection and sustainable development of the territory
- establishment of a transnational tourism-cultural network as a pilot action for the preservation and valorisation of the environmental and cultural heritage
- exchange of know-how, experiences and good practice; action model for local development
- activities pertaining to information and cultural promotion.
The project is financed by the CIP INTERREG III B ARCHIMED 2000-2006 and it is ERDF co-financed.
IMS-FORTH is hosting the results of the project. Any comments with respect to the material which is included in the particular page and refers to the project can be sent to the Lead Partner of the Project.
Goal of the Project
The scope of the project is the creation of tools for the protection of the cultural heritage and of the network of I Parchi LetterariR both local and transnational, for the development of sustainable tourist activities. A kind of "cultural district" ipso facto, consistent with the specific community and national policies, capable of offering visitors the most authentic values of the territory of Magna Graecia and the Byzantines, through that phenomenal code of interpretation that literature represents. A land of emotional inspiration, before becoming a land of literary inspiration, for many artists, who grant their posterity their name and surname to give a proposal of cultural tourism a title and titles.
The main activities of the project include:
- STUDY AND MAPPING OF ITINERARIES, BOTH SEA AND LAND, OF THE MAGNA GRAECIA AND BYZANTINES
- LABORATORY FOR THE SATELLITE REMOTE DETECTION OF ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES
- BUILDING THE NETWORK AND PRODUCTS OF I Parchi LetterariR
- PROMOTION AND TRANSMISSION OF SKILLS AND GOOD PRACTICE OF TOURIST SERVICES AND PRODUCTS
- "VIRTUOUS CREDIT"; CONTRIBUTION TO THE START UP AND/OR DEVELOPMENT OF THE ACTIVITIES
The Involvement of the Institute for Mediterranean Studies - FORTH
The Laboratory of Geophysical - Satellite Remote Sensing and Archaeo-environment of IMS-FORTH provides its technical expertise to the Prefecture of Rethymno. More particularly, the Lab is responsible for the scientific publications, the creation of thematic maps in electronic and conventional format, the GPS mapping of archaeological sites on land (Greek-Byzantine itineraries), the creation of an archaeological database and the completion of the information regarding the archaeological sites of Rethymno that will be registered to the data inventory for the goals of the project and the training of the Prefecture's personnel on satellite remote sensing and GIS. The Lab has also created a WEB_GIS portal (for the needs of the Prefecture of Rethymno) for the dissemination of the archaeological sites of Rethymno that have a proven evidence of relation with sites of Italy. A more complete archaeological database and synthetic maps for the cultural heritage of the island of Crete can be found at www.ims.forth.gr/ims/external_projects/digital_crete/digital_crete-gr.html.
- REGIONE CALABRIA (Lead Partner)
- PROVINCIA DI COSENZA
- PROVINCE DI AGRIGENTO - Italy
- REGION OF EAST MACEDONIA - THRACE - Greece
- PREFECTURE OF RETHYMNO - Greece
Official web site of the project: dima.ims.forth.gr