Virtual Historic Sailing Ships
Promoting the maritime cultural heritage with the development of an integrated platform of 3D digital representations of historical ships.
Principal Investigator, Dr Kostas Damianidis
- The aim of the project is the creation of three-dimensional digital representations using virtual and augmented reality, from ships of earlier times, for which there are sufficient original materials for their complete representation (drawings, photographs, technical descriptions, three-dimensional natural scale models , etc.). The proposal highlights and reflects the carpentry tradition of the Greeks, which was one of the largest chapters of technical civilization.
- The project involves the creation of a 3D technology platform with the pilot presentation of two classic sailing ships from the late 19th century. For this purpose, selected historical ship models will be digitally recorded in museums and sources that provide additional information on the structure, operation and form of sailing boats will be explored.
- The platform of 3D VR technology for the display of ships will be presented in pilot demonstration facilities at the Folklore and Ethnological Museum of Macedonia-Thrace and in addition at the exhibition spaces of the Institute for Mediterranean Studies of FORTH as well as other spaces in the form of a mobile “Virtual exhibition”
- Institute for Mediterranean Studies (IMS), Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH)
- Department of Products & Systems Design Engineering, Aegean University
- Folk and Ethnological Museum of Macedonia-Thrace
- TETRAGON consultant & construction public limited company