SeaLiT: Seafaring Lives in Transition. Mediterranean Maritime Labour and Shipping during Globalization, 1850s-1920s.
The program explores the transition from sail to steam navigation and the effects of this technological innovation on seafaring populations in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea, between the 1850s and the 1920s, whose lives were drastically changed by the advent of the steam.
Principal Investigator Dr. Apostolos Delis
Funded by European Research Council – Starting Grant 2016
The program explores the transition from sail to steam navigation and the effects of this technological innovation on seafaring populations in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea, between the 1850s and the 1920s, whose lives were drastically changed by the advent of the steam. The project addresses the changes through the actors, seafarers, ship-owners and their families, focusing on the adjustment of seafaring lives to a novel socio-economic reality. It investigates the maritime Labour market, the evolving relations among ship-owner, captain, crew and their local societies, life on board and ashore, as well as the development of new business strategies, trade routes and navigation patterns. Researchers from Italy, France, Spain, Ukraine and Greece participate in the project, whereas five Ph.D. dissertations will be carried out in academic institutions of Spain, Italy and Greece.
Ship operation services (19th - 20th century)
Research team ΙΜS/FORTH
- Dr. Anna Sydorenko, Postdoctoral Researcher
- Dr. Katerina Galani, Postdoctoral Researcher
- Dr. Erica Mezzoli, Postdoctoral Researcher
- Dr. Matteo Barbano, Postdoctoral Researcher
- Kalliopi Vasilaki, PhD Student
- Alkis Kapokakis, PhD Student
- Petros Kastrinakis, PhD Student
- Thomas Kalesios, Research Assistant
COLLABORATING RESEARCH INSTITUTIONS
T.I.G./University of Barcelona
- Prof. Jordi Ibarz Gelabert, Research Leader.
- Dr. Enric García Domingo, Postdoctoral Researcher.
- Dr. Brendan J. von Briesen, Postdoctoral Researcher.
- Eduard Page Campos, PhD Student.
NAVLAB/University of Genoa:
- Prof. Luca Lo Basso, Research Leader.
- Prof. Paolo Calcagno, Senior Researcher.
- Dr. Andrea Zappia, Postdoctoral Researcher.
- Leonardo Scavino, PhD Student.
UMR TELEMME/University Aix-Marseille:
- Dr. Olivier Raveux, Research Leader.
- Prof. Xavier Daumalin, Senior Researcher.
- Dr. Stéphane Kronenberger, Postdoctoral Researcher.
Center for Cultural Informatics/Institute for Computer Sciences/FORTH:
- Dr. Martin Doerr, Research Leader.
- Dr. George Bruseker, Postdoctoral Researcher.
- Professor Gelina Harlaftis, Director IMS/FORTH.
- Professor Gopalan Balachandran, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (IHEID), Geneva.
- Professor Gilbert Buti, Université d’Aix-Marseille.