Opening for one PhD student position in the project ARCHERS
Opening for one PhD student position in the project
Advancing Young Researchers' Human Capital in Cutting Edge Technologies in the Preservation of Cultural Heritage and the Tackling of Societal Challenges
Funded by Stavros Niarchos Foundation
The Institute for Mediterranean Studies (IMS) of the Foundation for Research and Technology Hellas (FORTH), in the frame of the project ARCHERS, funded by Stavros Niarchos Foundation, is seeking to recruit one (1) PhD student.
Main objective of this research is to develop novel algorithms and techniques for processing GPR data that aim to highlight signals derived from buried archaeological features and structures.
- BSc degree in Geosciences (Geology, Mineral Resources Engineering or Metallurgical Engineering) (25%)
- MSc degree in Geosciences (30%)
- Documented experience (e.g. with a Diploma thesis and/or publications) on the topic of Ground Penetrating Radar geophysical method in respect to archaeological prospection and data processing (25%)
Additional desirable qualifications
- Hands on experience with GPR method, data processing and its application in archaeological prospection (10%)
- Experience with computer programming, signal processing and GPR data simulation (Python, Matlab, scripting etc.) (5%)
- Proficiency in English (5%)
Location: IMS-FORTH, Rethymno Crete, GREECE
Start Date: April 1st, 2017
Duration of appointment: 12 months (with possibility of extension according to the needs of the project).
Approx. stipend: € 750.00 (net)
Interested candidates who meet the aforementioned requirements are kindly asked to submit their applications electronically (by e-mail), no later than February 28th, 2017, 23:59 local Greece time, to the address email@example.com, with cc to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to be considered, the application must include:
- Application Form (please download form at the end of this page)
- Detailed curriculum vitae (CV) of the candidate
- Copies of academic titles/transcripts
Any application received after the deadline will not be considered for the selection
For information and questions regarding the application and selection procedure, candidates are asked to contact Dr. Nikos Papadopoulos (email@example.com), tel. +30 28310-56627 or 25146.
The result of the selection will be announced on the website of IMS-FORTH (www.ims.forth.gr).
Candidates have the right to appeal the selection decision, by addressing their written objection to the IMS secretariat within five (5) days since the results announcement on the web. They also have the right to access (a) the files of the candidates as well as (b) the table of candidates' scores (ranking of candidates results). All the above information related to the selection procedure will be available at the secretariat of IMS-FORTH in line with the Hellenic Data Protection Authority.